YakkityYaks - Big Brother 21 and Reality TV Updates and Spoilers!

YakkityYaks - Big Brother 21 and Reality TV Updates and Spoilers! (http://forum.yakkityyaks.com/index.php)
-   BBC & PBS TV (http://forum.yakkityyaks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=333)
-   -   Doctor Who (http://forum.yakkityyaks.com/showthread.php?t=13553)

Sheldon 09-10-2012 03:58 PM

Doctor Who

OK, how is it possible that this entire site exists, but not a thread about Doctor Who? :confused:

I know I can't be the only DW fan here. Wingz?!? We've connected about everything else, how about this?

Don't let me down, fellow Yaks!

19wingz 09-10-2012 04:04 PM

I have honestly never watched this show. I have been told I should, but I never have. What is it about anyways?

Sheldon 09-10-2012 04:20 PM

It's an awesome show. You really should give it a try!

It's a science-fiction show based out of the UK that follows a Time Lord - a time-traveling, humanoid alien who calls himself The Doctor - as he travels through time and space. Usually, helping out Earth by preventing attacks from other alien races, but he also travels back and forth in time (inside a spaceship that looks like a British police phone box and is called the TARDIS - which is MUCH bigger on the inside) and interacts with actual events that happened in history. He has companions that travel with him during his adventures, who are normal people that he's met along his journeys. They usually change out the companions every few seasons, and they also change out the Doctor every few seasons by having him "regenerate" as one of his lives ends and he becomes another version of The Doctor. He's supposed to be an alien that's over 900 years old, so he never really dies, he just regenerates. This allows the BBC to get bigger name actors to do the show because they only have to commit to one or two seasons. They had a huge Shakespearian actor (David Tennant) do the show for quite a few years just before this current actor took over.

It's quite humorous, and the storylines are fun to watch. You find yourself getting attached to characters (they're getting ready to switch out the companions again in a few weeks, which will be sad to see the old one leave), and they have recurring enemies of the Doctor's who show up once in a while to try and cause more trouble. The writing is great, and a new season just started up two weeks ago, so I wanted to see if I could find other Doctor Who fans to chat with about the series.

Looks like it might be just me so far...

19wingz 09-10-2012 04:22 PM

Maybe Luke watches it?

Sheldon 09-10-2012 04:32 PM

Hmmm....possibly.

LUKE!?! Paging Luke!!! Damn, how does this thing work?

19wingz 09-10-2012 04:32 PM

Don't worry. There are plenty of threads here where I talk to myself. lol

Sheldon 09-10-2012 04:40 PM

Well, it also seems like we're growing in our number of threads where you and I just take over and start going back and forth for 20 posts before anyone else jumps in.

19wingz 09-10-2012 06:49 PM

LMAO Those are the best. We can say things about people and they might never notice ;)

Shiny Beige 09-10-2012 07:01 PM

I'm having trouble getting into this Doctor, maybe because I adored David Tennent.
Have you seen any of the orginal Doctor Who? It was extremely cheesey(?) and downright stupid, but in recent years, its become a great show. Isn't Torchwood (my favorite show) a spinoff of Doctor Who?

The Brits create great television (Black Adder, The Young Ones)!

19wingz 09-10-2012 07:22 PM

It's funny because many Americans love British television and then we have Luke - a Brit - who hates it and loves American TV. LOL