Notices

BBC & PBS TV All shows from BBC, BBC America & PBS can be found here.

Bookmark and Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-11-2013, 09:13 AM   #21
Yellowdog
Senior Yakster

Thanked 5,211 Times in 3,330 Posts
Groans: 32
Groaned at 188 Times in 159 Posts

Okay, this is for people who have watched the show because it may contain spoilers.

My wife and I just caught up and watched the Sunday episode live. Here are my thoughts.

1. My two favorite characters are Carson and the dowager, especially the latter. I've loved Maggie Smith since I was a kid and she is such a treasure. She's steals every single scene like it's nothing. One of the best characters in television history. My third favorite has become Mrs. Patmore, who seems to know everything that's going on.

2. Also like Mrs. Hughes, Bates, Anna, Matthew, Mary, and until he started becoming a boob, Lord Grantham. And even though they are villains and are supposed to be hated, I think O'Brian and Thomas are fabulous. O'Brian has those lifeless shark eyes and Thomas is actually a wonderful actor who has big things ahead of him. Oh, and I loved the creepiness of Sir Anthony, the one armed guy that Edith was stalking.

3. The character I dislike the most is Cora. She walks around like she's half stoned all the time. I just despise her. I also can't stand Daisy. Her vapidity is annoying. I hated Branson for awhile but it looks like he's starting to be a nice guy. I don't like Isobel but for some reason she's on the screen as much as anybody. And don't even get me started with Ethel. Who gives a damn about her?

4. Some story lines hurt the show a bit. Bates was awesome in the first season then they shoved the whole prison thing down our throats for too long. He was my favorite in the first season and maybe he will be up there again now that he's out of prison. I like his smarts and his kind eyes. And the whole Isobel and Ethel thing couldn't be more annoying. I also hate how they turned Lord Grantham into an insipid little weasel. He was such a good guy in the first season and I loved that because they could take the usual route and make him not care about the staff. The whole Sybil and Branson thing was annoying, too. Sybil was smoking hot but by the time she died I was happy for it because she was becoming annoying. Not as annoying as her husband, but annoying just the same.

5. What's also interesting is how fast things moved. It's unreal how much happens in a single episode. Hell, they went through the five year long World War 1 in just six episodes!!

6. I won't spoil it for anybody who hasn't heard about next week's episode, but it's a game changer. The fans in England were furious. I don't know what they're going to do with next season now. Anything can happen. They just have to stop killing people off or they'll be nobody left to care about.
Yellowdog is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-11-2013, 12:53 PM   #22
TheKdd
Your mama what?

Thanked 8,527 Times in 5,562 Posts
Groans: 230
Groaned at 198 Times in 183 Posts

Other than Maggie Smith, who is just amazing, one of my favorite characters was Sybil. I didn't love the story they put her in but I was hoping we would come out of that one... guess not.

Thomas, oh Thomas. I really liked the latest episode with him and Bates, it reminded me kinda of the beginning episodes with Bates being kind and Thomas needing bailing out as usual. Toward the end it seemed like they were putting Lord Grantham back on track from his "boobiness" as you say. I'm hoping they keep going in that direction with him. I like him having authority and not being an idiot.

Seems to me the Ethel story is slowly coming to an end since she is leaving, so that's good.

I like Daisy, and I like the camaraderie between her and Mrs. Patmore. I don't care for the new dude much (can't remember his name right now... the one that Thomas hit on). But I do like Alfred. I don't care much for the new girl (I think Ivy?).

I really hope next week doesn't piss me off too. I hate even hearing that.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

~
My Karma ran over your dogma.
~
TheKdd is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TheKdd For This Useful Post:
Ldbright (02-11-2013)
Old 02-11-2013, 01:21 PM   #23
Ldbright
Senior Yakster

Groans: 280
Groaned at 99 Times in 98 Posts

My favorites are Edith and Miss O'Brien. I also love Daisy! Like all the cast is great, the only people I don't really like seeing much is Thomas, and either of the footman.

You guys are in for a great episode if it is the finale you are talking about!!! Ends a bit abruptly, but its gonna make people wanna watch next season FOR SURE!!!
Ldbright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 02:11 PM   #24
Yellowdog
Senior Yakster

I've found that women like Daisy and most men can't stand her. Interesting.

Old 02-11-2013, 02:59 PM   #25
Ldbright
Senior Yakster

Groans: 280
Groaned at 99 Times in 98 Posts

I can definitely see why people wouldn't like her. She has got on my nerves a few times for sure, but I think most her story-lines are pretty great
Ldbright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 05:43 PM   #26
Yellowdog
Senior Yakster

It was season 2 that made me sour on her. William was going to war then was dying and she was being an idiot. Just tell the guy you love him. It won't kill you.
Old 02-14-2013, 11:53 PM   #27
Yellowdog
Senior Yakster

Maggie Smith is going to be on 60 Minutes this Sunday.

Old 02-15-2013, 08:24 AM   #28
19wingz
Carrie's Cowboy Casanova

Thanked 8,657 Times in 6,627 Posts
Groans: 627
Groaned at 1,039 Times in 954 Posts

Didn't she come out and say she doesn't watch the show?

Proud Supporter of the Michigan Wolverines & Detroit Red Wings!! (and anyone who plays those damn Buckeyes)

God put us here on this carnival ride
We close our eyes
Never knowing where it will take us next
19wingz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 09:46 AM   #29
Yellowdog
Senior Yakster

Yeah. She said she would be too critical of herself. She's won 2 Oscars and 3 Emmys, while being considered one of the best actresses of all-time. You would think she would realize that she's great.
Old 02-15-2013, 09:49 AM   #30
Yellowdog
Senior Yakster

By the way, I heard Hugh Bonneville who plays Lord Grantham, say that in the first season when they get electricity and she continues to look up at it in a distrusting manner that he knew he was screwed because she was going to walk off with every scene she was in. And that's exactly what happened.