Notices

The Glass House Congrats to KEVIN on winning the grand prize!

Bookmark and Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-21-2012, 12:00 PM   #1
Yak Nicholson
The One and Only

Groans: 0
Groaned at 2 Times in 2 Posts
Default "The Glass House:" Does it Deserve a Second Season?

In one word: yes. Keeping all comparisons with Big Brother aside, we’re going to break down the season and make a case for why ABC should consider giving The Glass House a second season.

Stemming from a lot of pre-show controversy, The Glass House had a lot to prove when its season opened in May. Under a mostly negative cloud of a lawsuit set forth by CBS (which they have since dropped), ABC pressed forward and continued production on this show until they might have been told otherwise. With the drama surrounding the show pre-season, allegations that this show stole its concept from CBS’s Big Brother, many expected the premiere to shatter ratings based on the fact that many might have tuned in to see what the hoopla was about. Contrary to expectations, the show didn’t even open its seasons with ratings one could boast about. But ratings aren’t all what makes a television show worthy of renewal. At least, they shouldn’t be.

Marred by a contestant who was more a cloud of negativity than the villain he thought America wanted him to be, The Glass House lost some viewer support when “Primetime 99” Alex Stein went on a rampage and verbally attacked the other players on a level lower than he should have. While, from a production standpoint, bringing Alex back after he was the first one to leave the house might have been a headline grabber, The Glass House didn’t mess with America’s votes and he was sent home packing … for good. As the season progressed, the show found its footing, like many new shows do, and we’re about to breakdown why it should return and what changes should be made moving forward.

The Cast |

We’ll start with the basics of what makes a good reality show – the cast. Without having anything to live up to, The Glass House had the ability to cast whomever they wanted for the inaugural season. By choosing the path of mostly average, everyday Americans, their decision proved to be one worth praising. Sure, they brought on a stuntman and an aspiring poet and there was bound to be an aspiring model, but the cast was, for the most part, a diverse group of Americans who wanted to play a game and then return to normal life. Should the show return, a similar casting approach needs to be taken – without the idea of upstaging themselves.

Oracle |

When the season started, there was this mystery robotic voice that many thought would become annoying as the season went on. On the contrary, Oracle, as was voted by the viewers, became one of the stars of the show without even trying. From her snarky comments on the live feeds to her demanding presence on the television show, Ori was arguably reality TV’s breakout star this year. While we may never see the face behind the voice, Ori proved to be one of the more dynamic reality “hosts” this summer and showcased why you don’t have to try hard to stand out. Take note Honey Boo Boo.

The Live Feeds |

Admittedly so, we were skeptical of the feeds when the season started. While giving viewers a look into the house a week before the show premieres was viewed as a strength, many doubted the worth of the feeds being so limited and fairly scripted. However, to the praise of the production team, our cries were heard an extra feed time was added a few weeks into the season. This time, the players did not know they were being watched. Still, the appeal to a show like this might be a look into the house 24/7, the limited feeds might have worked in this show’s favor considering the obvious competition of an established show like Big Brother. Part of the reason the feeds were limited was due to the fact that the players were actually taken back to hotel sequester each weekend. While this might give them reason to cool down and relax, they still delivered week after week on the drama aspect. Many cry foul about this, but we don’t think that has to be done away with if production wants to keep that format for season 2. Concentrating viewers and giving the players something to do while the feeds were on turned out to be a well calculated move, given the show’s continued skepticism. They may, however, want to consider adding more feed time for a reason we’ll explain below.

Online Interaction |

In a show that stressed how this was “America’s Game,” the online interaction was imperative to the show’s success. Here is where the show could improve and we’ll tell you how. Yes, the show’s presence on Twitter was profound with both Ori and the players getting to tweet, but the players tweets came out in droves and were almost always released too late. While we understand that the tweets can’t go live without being approved by ABC and production, there needs to be a better way put in place, should the show return, to release player tweets. The show’s voting also needs to makeover. And we’re not talking about doing away with the innovative Xbox Kinect stone casting. With a new show, viewers did not always log into the show’s website as regularly as the network might have expected. In doing so, many polls and votes were missed because there was no pattern made known as to when voting for XYZ will take place. If you so happened to see a poll during the feeds, great, but if you missed the weekend polls of pairing bed mates or giving the house a prize or punishment, it went unnoticed. Why? Well, there is another flaw. We weren’t able to view most of what we had a hand in determining. Because of the lack of feeds and a one-episode-per-week schedule, we never really saw the responses to what we voted on. Some of the time, we never really even knew which player truly followed our requests. Since we were to vote on our favorites, this might have taken a little bit of our power, and more importantly our motivation to vote, away.

Viewer Feedback |

The one place this show truly excelled, without debate, was their reception to feedback from the viewers. Not only did The Glass House encourage feedback from its fans, but the feedback did not fall on deaf ears. We wanted more feeds, they delivered. We wanted a live competition; they delivered. We wanted live eliminations; they delivered. Even from the start of the season when Ori called us fans, they quickly changed her script to “viewers” since we couldn’t be dubbed as fans from the get go. It’s refreshing to see a production team listen to their viewers and make reasonable adjustments to a show’s format or schedule based on our input.

Set Design |

Finally, we would be amiss if we didn’t mention the show’s set design. From the modern look of the house to the use of technology to the innovative and visually appealing competition sets, the team working on the show’s set deserves recognition. The penultimate competition of The Glass House turned apartment, showcasing rooms of it’s inhabitants, we genius and made for a visually stunning and exciting competition to watch. The creative team here definitely surpassed the expectation of many.

We could go on but these are the aspects we felt most strongly about discussing. We want to know your opinions? Should The Glass House get a second season? Would this show fare more in the winter time? What are your thoughts on how Season 1 unfolded?
Yak Nicholson is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Yak Nicholson For This Useful Post:
Mikey (08-21-2012), Sheldon (08-21-2012)
Old 08-21-2012, 03:02 PM   #2
PinkFreak
Wonder Woman

Thanked 2,907 Times in 1,790 Posts
Groans: 60
Groaned at 84 Times in 75 Posts

I totally hope to see TGH get another chance!! I actually enjoyed it once I got past the 1st episode... it only got better! I only was able to catch a couple of the live feed showings, but the ones I did catch, besides the 1st few, where 100x more exciting that the BB feeds have been in a long time!

Kudos to ABC & The Glass House... they kept me entertained!!

I love The Yak
It's my kind of place
Just walkin' through the front door

Puts a big smile on my face
It ain't too far, come as you are

Hmm, hmm, hmm I love The Yak

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
PinkFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 05:07 PM   #3
19wingz
Carrie's Cowboy Casanova

Thanked 8,657 Times in 6,627 Posts
Groans: 627
Groaned at 1,039 Times in 954 Posts

I'm with you. Ratings were pretty terrible, so I'm not holding my breath, but you never know ... ABC might have too much pride to let it die after one season after the off camera drama.

Proud Supporter of the Michigan Wolverines & Detroit Red Wings!! (and anyone who plays those damn Buckeyes)

God put us here on this carnival ride
We close our eyes
Never knowing where it will take us next
19wingz is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-21-2012, 05:30 PM   #4
Mikey
YakTV Executive Producer

Thanked 3,897 Times in 2,136 Posts
Groans: 43
Groaned at 279 Times in 210 Posts

It kind of became a guilty pleasure for me. I'd most likely watch it again, but I'd prefer it to air in the winter. I feel like they should produce at least two episodes a week, and I'd like to see one actually live where we can vote during the hour the show is on, and see our results revealed at the end. The competitions were great, and the casting team did a great job. There were a few flaws in the cast, but that's just personal opinion. If they could just add some sort of skylight to let in natural light, they'd eliminate the need to go to a hotel. But, even that isn't a deal breaker and goes unnoticed. I watched about 5 minutes of the very first live feed, and never watched again. I couldn't even tell you what day they were on, because it just wasn't heavily publicized. But, this show doesn't really need feeds in my opinion. Especially if they were to do a live show during the week. It was actually nice to watch it and not know what was going to happen. Of course, I could never do that with BB but I think it's been proven that they are two totally different beasts built on a similar principal.
Mikey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 05:34 PM   #5
19wingz
Carrie's Cowboy Casanova

Ya. I think the feeds were more for us to get to know them better since we are voting on their fates in the game. But a live show during the week might help with that. Although I did like seeing the other feeds when they didn't know we were watching.

And yes. There are more contrasts than similarities with BB at this point, but it is the same principle. That's about it.

A skylight would be interesting but it is in a closed sound studio, so that wouldn't make much of a difference unless they found somewhere else to transpose the house, which wouldn't be easy.

Proud Supporter of the Michigan Wolverines & Detroit Red Wings!! (and anyone who plays those damn Buckeyes)

We close our eyes
Old 08-21-2012, 05:40 PM   #6
Mikey
YakTV Executive Producer

What could be cool, is if they built or used an actual house. There are tons of house in LA that are build to look like they're made of "glass". Do it up in the hill somewhere, and close it off. Like the Real World. Obviously, they need the camera space so building it might be better. But, like I said even the hotel thing wasn't a deal breaker. It would however allow for a weekend episode, which is when I think they should implement a live show. Sunday nights! Assuming the decided to air it in the winter they could air it after Revenge, and Once Upon a Time.

Old 08-21-2012, 05:46 PM   #7
19wingz
Carrie's Cowboy Casanova

The problem is - it isn't as established for winter airing. I bet advertisment dollars are more expensive then and they might not get it with TGH. I'm with you on a Sunday night live show (they could still send them to a hotel Friday/Saturday). It wouldn't make production much different than an afternoon live feed

We close our eyes
The Following User Says Thank You to 19wingz For This Useful Post:
Mikey (08-21-2012)
Old 08-21-2012, 06:09 PM   #8
Mikey
YakTV Executive Producer

Very true! I didn't take that into account about the winter airing. Although, if any of the new shows tank it's easier to produce as a mid-season replacement.
Old 08-21-2012, 06:12 PM   #9
19wingz
Carrie's Cowboy Casanova

That is true. As long as they don't get a BB9 like cast, I'll be good.

We close our eyes

Old 08-23-2012, 10:16 AM   #10
SassyGal
Admin Asst./Silver Yakkster

Thanked 3,088 Times in 2,432 Posts
Groans: 45
Groaned at 45 Times in 42 Posts

I think it should come back but I would say not at the same time frame where it is up against BB. I think had they done this before or after BB they would have had a greater response. I think that part of the problem was only having 1 show that aired weekly so the TV watchers only got a small glimpse. I also think that the weekday afternoon airings were in a bad spot since it doesn't fit into the life of the working world. I loved that abc reaponded & made adjustment to meet the viewers demands for "free" time viewing so that we just didn't see the act they put on when they knew they were on air!

The biggest beef I had was that they were "tell us what to do" if you watched the feeds you know that they didn't have to do the stuff and why bother with all the wasted votes when the stuff wasn't really being shown! The other big thing was the "chat area" it was just one long comment area & you couldn't read for info only glimpses of what was commmented on not really set up for discussing the show. I did like that they didn't block me from inviting folks to come to YY & I know that we did get some folks come over to read here since they let me put up links each day for those that wanted to read about the feed showing!!

Subscribe now to CBS All Access

SassyGal is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SassyGal For This Useful Post:
19wingz (08-23-2012)